The 9.0.0-20 system update was released on October 6, 2014.
- Users can now use themes to customize the design and sounds of the HOME Menu
- Five themes are pre-installed and additional themes can be purchased from the Theme Shop
- Themes can be changed by using settings located within the HOME Menu settings
- A feature has been added that allows users to capture screenshots of their HOME Menu
- The Nintendo eShop Title Information page has been updated to provide easier access to any available videos, demos, user reviews, and other information
- Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience
See here regarding themes.
The following system-modules were updated: AM, camera, cfg, codec, gsp, hid, ac, cecd, CSND, dlp, http, ndm, NIM, NWM, SOC, SSL, PS, friends, IR, BOSS, news(notifications), RO, NS, and act. For at least some of these modules(including NWM), this was just a rebuild with the latest CTRSDK(only change in .code was the CTRSDK version value(s) used with ErrDisp).
The following applications were updated: System Settings, Download Play, Nintendo 3DS Camera, eShop, System Transfer, and NNID settings.
The following "applets" were updated: ErrDisp, Home Menu, camera, Instruction Manual, Game Notes, Friend List, Notifications, error, Software Keyboard, appletEd, PNOTE_AP, SNOTE_AP, extrapad, mint, Miiverse, and Miiverse memolib.
An applet with TID-low 00008B02 was added, "solv3". The description from the ExeFS icon is "Post to Miiverse".
NS_CFA was updated, the following new file was added to the RomFS: "qtm_black_list".
NATIVE_FIRM was also updated.
Starting with 9.0.0-20 on retail, the system may now triggers a fatal-error when an application crashes(this is the error-code fatal-error). At the time of writing this does not apply to New3DS.
This error(0xd8c3fbf3) is caused by Home Menu failing to allocate LINEAR-memory.
This update added the system-titles for New3DS to SOAP, for the following regions: USA, EUR, and JPN. See here for the launch-day JPN New3DS system-version.
Most of the New3DS titles listed from SOAP here are from the launch-day system-version available on CDN. Some of the actual New3DS-specific changes with 9.0.0-20, is that the following New3DS titles were updated: NATIVE_FIRM and NVer. The latest version of both of these titles have the same HTTP Last-modified date as the 8.1.0-0_New3DS.
The New3DS version of the Internet Browser was added, the exheader name is "SKATER"(original 3DS name was "spider").
The following New3DS-only system applications were updated: microSD Management, "menu" placeholder application, and the "cherry" placeholder application.
This update also added the newly updated System-Transfer application(not New3DS specific) to New3DS. This title is not installed with 8.1.0-0_New3DS.
The following New3DS-specific system modules were updated: Camera, nfc, mvd, and qtm.
System update reports: