Setting up Development Environment
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Install devkitARM. If it's already installed, update it. On Windows there's a GUI installer. On Linux/Mac there's a perl-script. Make sure you also select ctrulib when installing.
- Download the files in the ctrulib repository (even though the library has already been installed) because the repository contains a 3DS project template and examples.
Building the examples
3DS examples are still being created. Currently there are a few examples in the separate ctrulib download under the "examples" folder.
- arm11u: simple homebrew example
- sdmc: demonstrates how to access files on the SD card
- mic: demonstrates how to read sound from the microphone
- gpu: demonstrates how to render 3D geometry with the GPU
Building homebrew for distribution
To build your homebrew open a terminal, browse to your homebrew's folder and run make.
- This will build a .elf file and a .3dsx file together with an icon. The icon and .3dsx file are the format required for the Homebrew Channel.
- To build a Gateway-compatible .3ds file you need to strip the .elf file and use makerom on it (with the provided RSF file):
arm-none-eabi-strip [ELF file] makerom -f cci -o [.3ds file] -rsf [RSF file] -target d -exefslogo -elf [ELF file] -icon [icon file] -banner [banner file]