"New 3DS" is the latest 3DS console from Nintendo, 3DS and XL models of this will be available. It will launch on October 11th in Japan, 2015 for EUR, no launch-date announced(?) for USA at the time of writing. It was announced on 29 of August 2014. It will feature "New 3DS"-specific titles that are not playable on older 3DS models, which may imply new encryption keys(though blocking title-launch of those titles on old hw could be done other ways too as well).
According to official sources, the following changes have been made hardware-wise:
- Faster CPU
- Better 3D screen technology
- MicroSD-slot instead of normal-sized SD-slot, moved under the bottom cover(which covers the battery as well)
- Easily removable plates for 3DS bottom(same cover mentioned above) / back of top-screen
- NFC support
- Two circle-pads instead of one
- New buttons ZR and ZL
Based on disassembly of certain sysmodules for code added/changed with in the 8.0.0-18 update, it appears that the "New 3DS" has the following changes:
- They extended FCRAM from 128MB to 256MB.
- They added another VRAM (?) of 4MB.
Going by the 8.0.0-18 update, which added support for the mem-regions listed above, it appears that the "New 3DS" will use the exact same system-titles as the original hardware(with a new system update at launch, for old/new hw, as both seem to use the same system-titles).
The product code of the New 3DS is KTR, while the product code of the New 3DS XL is RED.